In order to protect your business from unnecessary legal problems, it is important that you hire a competent business lawyer in California. There are many corporate attorneys in Orange County; how do you know that you are hiring the right one? Here are a few tips on hiring a corporate lawyer:
1. Be Familiar With Business Law Specifications
Corporate attorneys in Orange County, CA are categorized as either a litigation attorney or a transactional attorney. Some lawyers are categorized as both. A litigation lawyer handles disputes, while transactional lawyer handles out-of-court matters. Moreover, a corporate lawyer can have additional areas of specialization. The lawyer you choose should be an expert in the line of business that you are in.
A contract lawyer is one who specializes in contracts for clients, suppliers, employees, etc. They not only advise what type of contract you need, but also prepare it for you. They are necessary because a small flaw in a contract can ruin an entire company.
There are also corporate lawyers that specialize in business organization. These are the type that help you decide what business entity your company should be. A few of the most common forms of business include: Limited Liability Corporation (LCC), Limited Partnership, and Sole Proprietorship. Attorneys who specialize in business organization not only help you decide on the form of business for your company, but also assist you in the preparing and filing the necessary paperwork.
If you need a business lawyer who will negotiate the terms of commercial property leases and rentals, you need a real estate attorney.
There are other kinds of business attorneys, with many different specializations. If you understand business law specifications, you can narrow down your choices of what kind of business lawyer you really need for your company.
2. Make a List of Potential Business Lawyers
There are different ways to find competent business lawyers in California. One way is to visit the website of the American Bar Association. You can get all the necessary information you need, ranging from referrals to general information on various legal questions.
Another way to find corporate lawyers is through the telephone book. You will find attorneys from both small and large law firms through the telephone book.
You might also want to get referrals from friends, family, acquaintances, and even from other businessmen. The more people know a lawyer, the higher chance it is that he is a competent one.
3. Start Conducting Interviews with the Attorneys in Your List
In order to hire the best business lawyer for you company, here is the information that you need to gather during the interviews:
- How much experience does the attorney have and what type of experience is that? More specifically, ask whether the lawyer has had experience handling clients with needs similar to yours.
- Ask the business lawyer in California that you are interviewing questions regarding their knowledge of the industry that your business is in. If they are not very knowledgeable about your industry, they should at least have the willingness to learn about your business so that they can serve you better.
- It is important that you get a perspective on their intentions. See whether they are merely getting new clients for their firm, or are they truly going to be the ones handling client work.
- Of course, you need ask about fees and billings. Each attorney charges differently. Moreover, there are different billings and fees for various services.
Categorised in: business, business incorporation, corporate, corporate attorney, corporate attorneys, corporate counsel, corporate lawyers, corporate practice, corporate records, incorporating a business, incorporation, legal, Orange County Business Lawyers, small business
This post was written by BusinessAttorney